Monday, June 4, 2007

Some Stats: Gents Take Notice

It has been almost 10 years since I have seen a paycheck. No, that does not mean that I am unemployed--it means that since finishing graduate school, my wife has had control of the local finances (and she is welcome to it).
Haven't had a checkbook since 1996. Still don't have an ATM card (and you folks using a debit card--what is WRONG with you?!).

Brag: my credit cards pay me 5% for EDP (everyday purchases such as gas, groceries, and drugstore items); 1% for all else; 2% on the weekends (uh, yep). I ask again: you folks using a debit card--what is WRONG with you?!

One thing I loved about the military: stuff just "happened." I always knew what clothes to wear (and they were free), eating and sleeping accommodations were always available, and money just appeared in my account. Oh, and the harder I was willing to work, the more I was paid (in the military, this means volunteering for jump status, combat duty, that sort of thing...). I just needed to focus on my "job" (which I loved, really).

In my civilized, civilian life, I still want things to just "happen." My wife buys my clothes (she enjoys shopping--I despise it--and clothes are really just a uniform), stocks the food, and runs the household as she sees fit. She appreciates that I maintain the yard, vehicles, and machinery, as well as some of the longer-term assets (e.g., retirement savings, life insurance policies, and other items).

Men: when you got married, it was for life, right? Put your money where your mouth is: once you have a child or three, consider signing over all assets to the wife & family; it's quite freeing, really, and ensures that rough patches will be "worked through" rather than abandoned. Or soe I hear: I haven't really had a rough patch in this here marriage... But then, I am a right-wing atavist, right?

What other stats... Hmm... What do people really wonder about or want to hear with regard to men?

No comments: